Hell’s Kitchen Churches
Religion once played a key role in the life of Hell’s Kitchen. According to Kirkley Greenwell of NYC-Architecture.com, “During the second half of the nineteenth century, an impressive number of houses of worship spread through the neighborhood … the astonishing number within one square mile clearly indicates the centrality of church activity in the lives of Clinton residents throughout its history. Over the years, however, many of the church buildings have been demolished or converted to other uses. Only three churches continue their grammar and/or high schools.”
Walter Rauschenbusch began his pastoral ministry at the Second German Baptist Church, which eventually met at 407 West 43rd Street; it is now the Westside Theatre.
Around the same time, A.B. Simpson was ministering in the neighborhood with the intention of reaching “the neglected peoples of the world with the neglected resources of the church.” Eventually, his church gathered at the New York Tabernacle, which once stood at the corner of 44th Street and 8th Avenue.
At 342 West 53rd Street stands the former Roman Catholic church, St. Benedict the Moor. The original church was located on Bleecker Street, and was the first mission north of the Mason Dixon line that welcomed black parishioners. In 1898, it moved to 53rd Street, and now, it sits, deconsecrated and empty.
This is just a snapshot of the history of religion in Hell’s Kitchen. Today, though, there remain several bodies that gather for worship on a regular basis. In an effort to celebrate their work and connect the work of the Kingdom in Hell’s Kitchen—and in a humble acknowledgment that HKCC may not be the “right church” for every individual—please lift up these communities in prayer.
- Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Cathedral — 550 West 50th Street
- Calvary Christian Church — 409 West 47th Street
- Church for All Nations — 417 West 57th Street
- Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus — 457 West 51st Street
- Croatian Church New York — 502 West 41st Street
- Every Nation Church — 215 West 60th Street
- Harvest Christian Fellowship — 336 West 37th Street
- Hell’s Kitchen Community Church — Location TBD
- Messiah’s Reformed Fellowship — 410 West 45th Street
- Metro Baptist — 410 West 40th Street
- Metropolitan Community Church — 446 West 36th Street
- One Community Church — 405 West 45th Street
- Spanish Central Manhattan — 422 West 57th Street
- St Luke’s Lutheran Church — 308 West 46th Street
- St. Clement’s Episcopal Church — 423 West 46th Street
- St. Malachy’s Catholic Church — 239 West 49th Street
- The 166 — 409 West 45th Street
- The Church of St. Paul the Apostle — 405 West 59th Street
- The Church of the Holy Cross — 329 West 42nd Street
- The Salvation Army Times Square Corps Community Center — 315 West 47th Street
- Times Square Church — 237 West 51st Street
- Trinity Presbyterian Church — 422 West 57th Street